Thursday, August 30, 2007

Brittons Hill disaster

By now you would have all heard the sad story of the collapse of an apartment block with a family of five last Sunday morning in Brittons Hill.

Well last night night (Wednesday) two of the five bodies were recovered. When I saw the photos of the lovely neighbourhood I shudder and wonder how many of our homes can suffer the same fate.

I expected that something like that would have happened in St. Andrew – or the Scotland District where land slippage or not uncommon but never in my wildest dreams thought that something could have happen in St. Michael.

Now I wonder what’s going to happen next - if there was a mortgage, would you still owe the bank? Would the Town and Country Planning department be responsible? Can you sue the contractors? If your building was insured would you be compensated – or is there compensation for such an act of nature or was it an act of nature? So many questions – so few answers.

No comments: